Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Monday 9 January 2012

Glue resist painting - Part One

Another easy project today - fabric painting using glue as a resist.  Think of resists as the leading between pieces of stained glass - it keeps the colours separate.  Resists are used in many dyeing techniques, especially batik which uses melted wax as a resist.

I start with a piece of fabric, pre washed to remove any sizing or other chemicals.  I pressed it (although you don't have to, it depends on the effect you are wanting) and laid it on a piece of freezer paper taped to my work surface.  The freezer paper is to protect the worktop from glue and paint/dye - parchment paper or tinfoil also work.

Next I apply ordinary white school glue.  Make sure the glue says "washable", this will be important later.
I am making some "ocean waves" fabric for my upcoming quilt project, so I squirted on a wave pattern.



Now, let the glue dry completely.  I will leave this overnight, to be sure it's dry before proceeding.  Part Two will follow, check back tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment