Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Wednesday 13 July 2011

Under The Sea - Progress Report

Hello all!  Despite battling an ear infection that has left me deaf in one ear for the past three weeks, I have managed to complete the Kantha quilting on the Under The Sea block.

Because you may be asking "what is kantha quilting?", it is a style of embroidery/quilting traditional in Bangladesh and India.  It is simple running stitches, sometimes in a random form, other times in patterns, and often in many colors.  Here's how I have used the humble running stitch to tie together the colors of my ocean and to create the feeling of movement:

 Click on the photo to enlarge it.  I loved the process of stitching this, and I love how it turned out.

And here's a close-up of the stitching:

As you can see, the dense stitching does distort the fabric and makes the straight edges wavy.  And that's exactly what I want for this piece.

Next I'll baste the land, sky and sand fabrics onto the foundation and begin embroidering them.  And I'm thinking of adding a treasure chest on the ocean floor, almost hidden by seaweed......

No comments:

Post a Comment