Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Friday 11 April 2014

Jeans become a skirt

There are many YouTube tutorials on how to make a denim skirt from a pair of jeans.  The technique was popular in the sixties, as in these photos:


I wanted the fabric inserts for my skirt to be more like godets, with extra fullness, something like this:

 
The best tutorial I found for the basic jean skirt technique was this -
 


I had some fabric that was like a soft burlap, which I dyed a fuschia/red colour.  It's somewhat sheer fabric, so I added two layers.  And here's the skirt with the godets in place.



I just needed to hem the skirt at that point,  and of course, I'll be adding some embellishments. :-D   These fabric flowers will go along the V shapes. As a side note, because the godets are cut on the bias, after inserting them, I left the fabric extra long and hung the garment overnight.  This gives the fabric time to relax, so I can get a more even hem.



And here's the finished skirt, which I plan to wear with my gorgeous cowgirl boots!


Front:



Back:

 




Boots (with pointy toes, for kicking things in corners)



I'm wearing my long skirt as I speak, and I love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment