Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Personalized Lab Coat

While I was in school, we watched a video of one of the workrooms of a major fashion house.

We were impressed that the sewists in the workroom all wore lab coats.  Not only is it a professional look, it helps keep thread off the worker's clothes, and (more importantly) keeps the expensive couture fabric from being damaged.  I'm not (yet) the caliber of sewist that works for Chanel or Balenciaga, but I can look just as professional.

I bought my lab coat by mail order, and order a size that was excessively big. As in - huge.  Baggy.  Stupid big.  What was I thinking big.

I shortened the sleeves, took up a large hem, and added a strip of elastic at the back to pull in some of the excess fabric.  I added machine embroidery at the sleeves and bottom hem.  It's a lab coat with a wearable art twist - professional yet boho.  At least I think so :-)



**Update - After wearing this lab coat, it's still too boxy, so I'm going to add more elastic at the side seams.  Altering garments always involves tweaking and changing things until they're just right :-)


1 comment:

  1. That looks really nice with the machine embroidery on it. Would like to see it on you when you're finished. :D

    ReplyDelete