Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Ruby's 1/2 and 1/2 block and a quick gift

As promised, I am posting something other than all pink!  This week I finished a quick gift for a new friend, a pincushion.  The base is the lid of a can, covered in felt.  It is based on the instructions I found on http://ivoryblushroses.blogspot.com/2008/08/sea-dreaming.html  Lisa's blog and her art are beautiful, and she has lots of pictures on Flickr.com as well.  


Yesterday, Ruby's 1/2 and 1/2 block arrived.  Since there is a good chance that Canada Post will go on strike on Thursday, I decided to add my stitching right away and get it ready for the mail today.  I hope it makes it across the border before any postal disruption.  Here is the block as I received it.   Amber and Lynn made an under the sea theme, which is a favorite theme for me, too.  

Don't you just love Lynn's jellyfish?  The iridescent threads are so pretty.



There are fish, seaweed, starfish and a green turtle, as well as some shells.  I had no trouble adding to this block, it's so pretty and fun!



Here's the block after my work.

Another whole block view.

The big fish at the top is made of clay, made by an artist friend of mine.  I also added two green glass fish, and three more clumps of seaweed, waving in the current.  I made sure not to cover up Lynn's jellyfish!

Above you can see a silver fish charm, and one of the seaweed strands.  The fuzzy yarn was too green for this block, so I overstitched it with brown.

Another shot of the fish nibbling at the kelp forest.

After uploading these photos, I noticed that in the bottom center there is a tan piece of fabric that has no embellishment, and kind of sticks out.  So, although you won't see it in the photos, I added some herringbone stitch in a variegated teal thread.

Since both the Pink RR block and the 1/2 and 1/2 block are going to Ruby (just the way the rotations worked this time), I'm going to get them into an envelope and into the mail this afternoon.  Have a great Tuesday, and happy stitching!

1 comment:

  1. Jenni, thanks so much for the work on my block. Can't wait to hold it and check out all the great work. Love that clay fish.

    ReplyDelete