Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Friday 16 December 2011

Project Updates

I have been working on several projects in the last few weeks, and have a few update pictures to share.  I had fun with these wool felt Christmas trees, made from a kit I bought at Joggles last fall.  They have a slightly different kit this year, but with the same great value and clear directions.  They stand about 10" high.


Here's a closeup of one of the trunks, made from paper clay and painted with acrylic paint.  The snow is made from Snowtex, and sprinkled with diamond dust glitter.  I love the way these turned out!


Progress continues on the black/bright colours quilt, which I have now titled Aurora Borealis.  I have pieced the top, added plain black borders and black buttons, and I'm now hand quilting with rainbow metallic thread.  The quilting is to add interest and movement to the quilt, so it won't be very densely quilted.  


I am also knitting and crocheting hats and scarves for the Mustard Seed in Edmonton. They will need lots of warm clothing for homeless people when the weather gets cold (and it is not unusual to have -40 Celsius temperatures in this part of Alberta in winter.  That's 40 below in Fahrenheit, also know as "bloody cold"). I'm not that accomplished at either knitting or crochet, but I have found lots of easy free patterns on about.com.  I am using yarn that was donated by a lady from the local online garage sale on Facebook.  I like the idea of knitting warm clothing for people who truly need it, using yarn that has been sitting unused in someone's basement.  I may get some small scrap quilts done for the Mustard Seed as well.  I have several "crumb" quilts on the go, made from my smallest scraps and mostly hand pieced.  They are randomly pieced, no pattern, and a great way to use the bits that are usually thrown away.  

I'm off now to make some broccoli and cheese soup for dinner, and I hope to get some more quilting done on the Aurora Borealis project.  So nice to have a warm quilt on my lap as I stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment