Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Sunday 23 February 2014

First Auction of the Season

It's auction season in our neck of the woods, and I went to an auction in Innisfree on Saturday.  I only stayed for a couple of hours, as I wasn't feeling well.  But I enjoyed the atmosphere of the auction and got a couple of deals.  I only spent $6 all told, so I figure that it is inexpensive entertainment (and I only bought a couple of items I will use and have a place for in my home).  My best deal was a box of 18 neckties for $1!

 
These ties will find their way into several sewing and quilt projects in the coming months.  I made a tie skirt this summer, using an old tablecloth and some scraps of satin fabric.  It's a prototype, and I'm not totally happy with it, but I do wear it and it's a lot of fun. Click on the photo to see a larger size.
 
 

 



Next Saturday, I'm going to try to hit another auction in the area.  This one promises to have a tin of old buttons.......<insert sound of me screaming like a little girl>.  There are lots of button collectors out there, so I may not be able to bid high enough, but it will be fun to at least see the tin of old buttons and perhaps take some photos.  Granny's Button Jar was the name of my first piece of crazy quilting, and that jar of buttons and bits started me on the road to my sewing/art career.  If those old button boxes of our ancestors could talk, can you imagine the stories they would tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment