Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Monday 17 February 2014

Computer Issues Solved/China Cabinet Makeover

I've been having a few issues with my laptop, which I hope are now resolved.  Our son, the computer genius, was able to remove viruses and lots of malware - remotely!  The computer savvy among you will not be surprised by this technology, but it was quite a revelation to me.  I merely downloaded a program, gave him an access key and password, and then I sat and watched as he (in another city) ran scans and did maintenance on my computer.  There were a few residual problems in the following days, which he helped me deal with.  Such a relief to have a working laptop again.

Now I can get back to a more regular blogging schedule, and I have lots of pictures to post in the coming days of the progress on my sewing studio.

For now, here are a couple of pictures of my china cabinet makeover.  My dad made me this cabinet when I moved into my first apartment, back in 1984. I'm now using it to store patterns and notions in my studio.  The back panel of the cabinet is made of pine-colored wall panelling, and it didn't really go with the Shabby Chic style of the room.  So my Sweet Baboo painted the panelling (on the upper hutch portion of the cabinet) the same pink as the walls.  Then I used thinned-down Mod Podge to apply pieces of lace and doilies to the back panel. Pushpins held the lace pieces in place as they dried.  I absolutely love how this turned out.




 
 
The hutch now holds tackle boxes of beads (sorted by color), buttons, elastic, hand sewing needles, snaps and hooks/bars, embroidery thread, bobbins, sequins and glitter.  All the containers are from the dollar store, various thrift stores, and from an online garage sale.  I prefer the vintage storage pieces, like the little brown camera suitcase on the bottom shelf, but for now the mix of modern plastic and older glass jars works for me.  Everything is labelled with my trusty P Touch label maker.  If I don't label things and make it easy to put things away, I know I will put off cleaning up after projects.
 
The lower part of the cabinet holds sewing patterns, batting, and interfacings.
The drawers hold Ziplock bags, and misc art supplies.  The middle section will hold my sewing books and magazines.

So the setting up of the studio continues.  I'll post more of my organizing strategies as I get things accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment