Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Valance Makeover

The makeover of the sewing studio continues.  While the vertical blinds in the studio were removed for wall painting, I decided that the patterned vinyl valance was a little boring and needed....something.

I loosely wrapped some sheer fabric and coffee-dyed cheesecloth over the valance, hot gluing it in place.  Then I added some extra prettiness; flowers and beads.  I bought a couple of sprays of tiny fabric flowers from the dollar store, and used small seed beads (11/0, I think) and buttons and glitter to add some color and sparkle.  All the embellishments were attached with a combination of tacky craft glue and hot glue.  I don't always get good results using just hot glue, and I don't want bits to fall off as the temperature fluctuates in the room. 
 
 
 The ivory color and hits blue help to soften the pink of the walls.  I love pink, but if I add too much, it's going to look like a baby girl's room.  So I'm trying to keep to an ivory/white color scheme for anything else I add from this point. 
 
Yesterday, Sweet Baboo and I went to Edmonton, and bought light fixtures, business supplies and a couple more furniture pieces for the studio. I found a kitchen island at Ikea, which will be perfect for my front counter, and we figured out curtain systems for the changing room and to separate the studio from our kitchen.  We also bought a freestanding mirror.
 
I am now also a fan of Habitat for Humanity's ReStore!  We visited two of the three locations in Edmonton, and found brand new light fixtures for $30 each.  I got a used steno chair there as well, for $20.  What a great place to buy windows, doors, furniture, tile....and if you ever need a picture frame of any size.....the ReStore have hundreds of them!  Like any thrift store, the stock is always changing. But the selection is always huge and the prices are great.  If there's a ReStore in your area, I encourage you to check it out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment