Encrusted CQ class project

Encrusted CQ class project

Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Fabric to Dye For

Sunday was another "play day", dyeing and painting small pieces of fabric.  Most of these are done just to play with colors and techniques, so I don't have a particular project in mind for them.

On the left of this photo is a lavender commercial fabric that I overpainted using a gelatin monoprinting plate and freezer paper shapes as a resist.  For more information about gelatin monoprinting, check out this YouTube video:

The fabrics on the right started out as unbleached muslin.  I had previously dyed them, but they didn't have enough color, so I overpainted them with the same gelatin plate technique.  The paints in all three of these are Pebeo Setacolor Transparent paints.
The next two fabrics don't really thrill me yet, but could work if I add more layers of paint or dye, or as base fabrics with embellishments on top (buttons, beads, couched threads).  I'll keep these as future possibilities.
There were a few other fabrics which were "ugly doggies".  If you'd like to see them.....oops, the garbage truck just left, never mind.

My prize piece of dyed and painted fabric from today started life as a quilted cotton window valance. I forgot to take a picture of it before I started, but you can see it in the left hand side of this photo.  It was quilted ivory cotton with some subtle flower embroidery, and a line of green piping.  My first plan was to use it as a curtain on one of my work tables, to hide the storage underneath.  But it didn't fit, so then I thought this fabric would make a great tote bag.  It just needed a little color.

I started by dyeing the piece a mottled yellow color.  I knew that this thing would soak up a lot of paint if it was just painted, and that it would end up stiff and crunchy.  Paint sits on the surface of fabric, dye bonds to the fibers.  After dyeing, I add some big dots of Distress Stains, and stamped on shapes with Setacolor Transparent paint.

Now this piece is looking better.  Some ivory is still showing, but there's lemon yellow, peaches, and pinks.  But what else could I add?

I draped a piece of red crinoline netting over the left side of the piece so show how that could add some richness to the color.  It's sparkly netting too, and hey, sparkles are never a bad idea!

This piece is not done yet.  I find this kind of layering works best if I add a layer or two, then leave the piece somewhere visible for a few days or weeks.  The ideas flow as I add and look, think, then add some more.

One last photo - the original fabric was purchased for an ocean-themed crazy quilt I've been working on for 5 years.  This is known as a WISP, work in slow progress.  I loved the fabric, but the orange color was too overpowering.  The quilt blocks (diamonds) are all in greens, blues and purples, so orange just pops out and screams LOOK AT ME!  How rude, you orange fabric :-)  Here's what happens when you overdye with splotches of Chipped Sapphire Distress Stain and diluted Turquoise Setacolor paint:
The overdyed fabric is much easier to work with now, with the orange under control.
Dyeing and painting fabric was a relaxing way to spend an afternoon, with no deadlines and no expectations.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the starfish etc. The bottom piece really does look like it's under water. Fabulous!!