I got this peacock doily at a thrift store (Nu2U in Olds, Alberta - the most awesome thrift store ever!!) It's a bit worn in places, which I plan to cover up with stitching, or buttons. I put some small squares of Heat and Bond fusible on the doily (just the lower fabric part), then pinned it to the back of the jacket, before fusing it in place. I'll use perle cotton to stitch the lace portion to the jacket.
Here is the doily, stitched on and embellished with sequins and beads
I wanted lace trim at the cuffs and the front yoke, but didn't want it to be stark white. So I used some Procion dye and had some fun. My first attempt using the Baby Pink color was a failure...more like the color of a crushed strawberry, not the soft pink I was aiming for. So I bleached back some of the color. Because I swished the lace very quickly in a sink of hot, soapy bleach water, the color lifted in a mottled pattern which I really like. Then after washing and rinsing well, I overdyed the lace with very dilute fuschia Procion dye. Here's how the pieces turned out.
And here are the lace cuffs added to the jacket:
Stay tuned for Part Three - the finished jacket!